Saturday, December 8, 2012

WRD Documentary

YouTube link to Documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlfRGhtKCA&feature=youtu.be


Short Essay:
            I chose to talk about how Facebook can affect one’s ability to get a job. The argument I was attempting to make is that it is important to monitor what one posts on Facebook because employers take it into consideration when hiring for a position. In my documentary, I spoke to three students of different ages and majors as well as a business professional. When I began my project I thought that the students I talked to would not be concerned about what they posted but as I continued to interview them I saw that there was a range of opinions. Dylan’s (sophomore) answers to my questions fit more with what I was expecting about not worrying about it too much. Maredith (freshman) pointed out that she monitors her Facebook because she has many younger people looking up to her and she wants to be a good role model through her Facebook but she doesn’t monitor it for the employer’s sake. Bailey (Senior) seemed to have the most thoughts toward the importance of monitoring Facebook because of the three students she is the most immediate one to go into the work force. Ray (Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Bush Brothers & Co.) provided a perspective from the work force. Being in a position to hire, he could shed light on how much companies really focus on the potential employees Facebook.

I think that the video succeeded in that it showed that monitoring Facebook is important. None of the students I spoke to had any provocative material on their Facebook but I think that since they had different view points the video still worked. If I had more time I would have tried to find people like the two in the opening two shots. I also would have liked to be able to talk to more professionals about their thoughts on Facebook. I contacted several others but their schedules didn’t have any openings when I needed to shoot the footage. I think that my shots were pretty good except for the few shakier moments of the camera as well as the black bag in my interview with Ray.
Although my documentary expressed my thesis, I came up short in that it wasn’t very thought provoking. The video wrapped itself up in a way that didn’t allow the audience to draw their own conclusions. However I did really like what Ray had to say about Facebook so I wanted to put as much of our time in together in the documentary. I think that the music and the pictures in that broke up the interviews and questions helped the documentary be far more interesting for the audience.
I think overall the video was successful in getting my message across, I just think that with more time it could have been more interesting than it currently is and it could have including a wider range of view points which would have added more value to the documentary as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment