Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Video Games Video Games Video Games

           Some how all of the guy friends I have play copious amounts of video games. I have the friends who when we hangout would rather play video games than do almost any other activity. My friends in high school were more interested in games with more high quality graphics and more intricate plots. My friends here at UK have a strange obsession with bad, and I mean bad, video games. They play games such as Anticipation (video game Pictionary, with stick figures) and a game where the goal is to bring a yogurt machine to some really wealthy business people who are determined to cause problems.
            The woman giving the Ted talk focused on how video games began similar to paintings. She made a connection between cave drawings and much more famous works. Similarly games like Anticipation could be compared with games such as Halo. I felt that the woman giving the speech was rather dry, uninteresting, and a slow speaker. I did not agree with her assertion that video games are becoming an art and I had a difficult experience trying to listen to her and follow the points she was trying to make. I am more in agreement with the author of the article that advocated that the art form was in the process of forming the video games.
            I think that the art of video games is created during the process but I also agree with Ebert in that I don’t think that video games, in themselves, are art. I am ignorant in the fact that I have played on a game system no more than 10 times in my lifetime but I do not see them as an art form.  I completely respect the amount of art and creativity it takes to put together the images and plot for the game but I feel that the actual enjoyment of the game is entertainment instead of art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment