Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Maybe Not So Dark Days


The documentary was really interested for a variety of reasons including the people they chose to talk to, the way it was shot, and the tone of the film. I was surprised that most of the characters highlighted in the documentary were men because from my experience with the homeless in downtown Knoxville, most of them are women. I appreciated that the people in the film were so willing to let the audience into their life, I thought it was really intriguing that they were worried about things being clean and attractive even though they were living in tunnels. I was also interested in the building of actual semblances of housing that could be distinguished from others. I also thought that it was really valuable to have a variety of age groups talk about their lives in the tunnels and what they do for money.
            I was interested in the choice of black and white shot selection. I was anticipating the documentary to be depressing or talking about people who had “given up.” By the end of the documentary, that clearly wasn’t the case. There was so much hope shown by the people living in the tunnels when they were told they would have real housing. I thought that the film could have ended with them breaking down the tunnel housing but in retrospect I was glad that I got to see them in their new homes because it showed that the government did in fact follow through when they told Amtrak that they would get everyone out of the tunnels.
            This documentary was much longer than the other ones that we watched but I thought that it was necessary because instead of it being an interview like The Archive it was much more of a story about different people and their lives and how they lived and it showed change over time. Even though it was so long, it did keep my interest the entire way through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment