Friday, November 2, 2012

Documentary Proposal


I am interested in filming a documentary that focuses on how college students present themselves on Facebook, if they consider what future employers think about the things they post, if they do not have a Facebook how do they think that might affect them, as well as how professionals actually view Facebook when looking to hire. I want to investigate how students use Facebook and whether they think ahead to what other people may think about what they post and how things from their past may influence their ability to get a job. The rhetorical situation of the documentary is that eventually every one of us is going to try to get a job and our opportunity at that job is at stake because of the things we post on Facebook and the way we present ourselves. I would like my film to help college students understand that the way they use Facebook could have a great impact on their ability to get a job or interview after graduation.

I am going to talk to college students who have Facebook, college students that do not have Facebook, and business professionals who are in hiring positions. I think that these different types of people will be able to share different thoughts on the subject in order to compile a more complete picture of what employers think about when looking at a potential employee’s page. The audience for this documentary is for college students that are interested in getting jobs.

The narrative direction I see this documentary headed is one that prompts students to be aware of what they post on Facebook because it is could have a major effect on their ability to get a job.

I plan on shooting this documentary in a variety of locations including the William T. Young Library, my dorm room, my friend’s apartment, Knoxville, the student center, and the outdoor area in front of the student center. The style of the documentary will be pre-prompted interview style similar to The Archive. Also like The Archive I plan on using softer lighting. I plan on shooting in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving as well as over Thanksgiving break. I feel as if I can do this project in the time allotted if I edit the film, and arrange the footage as I go instead of waiting until the end to do all of it.

I will arrange the footage so that I have several student statements interspersed with facts, leading up to a professional’s thoughts. 

1 comment:

  1. What kind of access will you have to actual professionals doing hiring right now? Have you begun to make any calls or send any emails? These people are on busy schedules, so you'll need to be very proactive with them.

    ReplyDelete