Tuesday, October 2, 2012

This I Believe Reflection


After reading Kevin Kelly’s “The Universe is Conspiring to Help Us” I have gained greater faith in people. His story about always getting picked up from work and never being turned away from a “likely yard to pitch a tent” surprised me. The generosity that strangers showed toward Kelly returned my faith in humanity.

Kelly started out with a story that really grabbed my attention because I see hitchhikers all the time and have never been gutsy enough to pick one up because of all the things I have been warned about. The people in his story however embrace his situation and unfailingly take him to work although it doesn’t benefit them in anyway and it could be potentially dangerous for them.

I also thought that his ideas as to why people always let him into their home were intriguing. The though that people were living vicariously through his journey across America really resonated with me. I also appreciated that at each house he asked for permission (although the obvious choice) instead of just pitching his tent until he was chased away.

The imagery he used to describe knocking on the door, asking for permission, and being invited in was seemed as if it was out of a story and it was heartwarming. Kelly showed his vulnerability through his obvious need for help that could only be provided by other people. I love the idea that instead of the world conspiring against us, it was conspiring for us. Kelly took a different approach to what a lot of people think and it really worked with what he had to say. He also realized that the people who showed him grace also knew how to receive grace, that they felt indebted to the universe and he was the one who was the benefitted from that debt. Kelly’s repetition and use of stories really drove his idea home and made it interesting for the reader/listener to follow along with. His use of stories allowed for the imagination of the audience to take place and think of instances where they experienced miracles of the universe in their own lives 

No comments:

Post a Comment